The busy open house season will soon be upon us. Open houses give sellers an opportunity showcase their home and generate interest in their property. The ultimate goal is to make potential buyers feel “at home” and they can envision themselves living there. Below are a few tips to make your property “Open House ready”:
- Make sure the home is at a comfortable temperature. It seems obvious, but you don’t want buyers shivering from the cold or perspiring from heat. This will only drive them out too quickly and have a negative response to their surroundings. Having the thermostat set for around 70 degrees in the winter months, and 72 in the warmer months is generally a good rule of thumb.
- Open all blinds and window coverings. Natural light gives the feeling of openness and cheerfulness. You want to be sure to communicate that to your buyers. In rooms that do not receive as much light, be sure to have lamps and fixtures with high-watt bulbs.
- Do not use synthetic scents or air fresheners. Many people are allergic or find these overwhelming. Instead, make sure the house smells clean and aired out. If this means opening a few windows, then do so.
- Have a bulletin board of pictures showcasing the house in different seasons. You will want to highlight the home’s lawn, landscaping or outdoor entertaining space, as they are often a big deciding factor for home buyers.
- Be sure to supply all relevant materials to visitors. Make it easy for buyers to have information they can take with them. Be sure to print and distribute: Inspection reports, recent appraisals or comparable homes, major repairs & warranties, and blueprints for additions or future possible improvements. As your Realtor we will be a valuable resource for this.
- Ask for feedback. Allow buyers the ability to comment and share both their likes and dislikes through a feedback card. Also, watch and listen for verbal and physical clues concerning buyers’ interests and if possible, tweak accordingly.